Feng Shui and Glass doors: harmony and energy flow in the room
Glass doors, especially clear glass doors, allow light and energy to flow freely from one room to another. They also expand the horizon inside the house, making everything rooms look bigger, wider, warmer and brighter. Glass doors thus contribute to a healthy living environment and upscale quality of life.
This is exactly what makes Glass doors a perfect element in buildings decorated according to the principles of Feng Shui.
Feng Shui: The "Qi" must flow
Feng Shui is a very old harmony teaching from China and is attributed to Taoism. It is based on the idea that the environment has a direct influence on people's lives. It was used in ancient China in the design of tombs, gardens and houses.
Classical Chinese Feng Shui starts with the building site: A house should be placed so that the natural environment protects it while allowing "Qi": energy, air, breath, vapors and emotions to flow freely.
In Neo-Feng Shui, the Western version, the building site is ignored for practical reasons and Feng Shui focuses on the interior design and the orientation of walls, windows and doors. The desired result is harmony, balance and a positive flow of energy in the environment to improve people's well-being, health and quality of life.
How does Feng Shui?
There are different schools of Feng Shui. However, some rules and advice apply pretty much always:
- The entrance area should be inviting, tidy, without obstacles, and have clear, bright lighting. In general, you should always pay attention to order and cleanliness throughout the home. Also avoid sharp corners or sharp objects near the entrance.
- The arrangement of furniture should be such as to allow a comfortable pattern of movement, and None sharp corners should point to other furniture or to people.
- The bed should be positioned against a stable wall, providing a view of the door without being directly in line with the door. This positioning gives a sense of security and control.
- Colors should be in harmony with the five elements of Feng Shui: Wood (Green, Brown), Fire (Red, Orange), Earth (Yellow, Beige), Metal (White, Metallic) and Water (Blue, Black).
- Mirrors can be used in a feng shui home to reflect light and open up the space, but should not reflect the bed or dining table.
- Art and decorations are ideal if they create a positive atmosphere and have personal meaning.
- Doors should be free of obstructions and be able to be opened fully. A door, according to Feng Shui, should not point directly at another door, as it would then not only lead into the room but also lead right back out. Enfilades like in European baroque castles therefore contradict Feng Shui.
- Feng Shui prefers natural light. Windows and doors should therefore be placed in such a way that they allow natural light into the room, as bright and well-lit rooms are conducive to positive energy.
Glass revolving doors and Glass sliding doors for Feng Shui
You can achieve the last two Spots on the list with the use of Sliding doors made of glass and doors made of clear glass. Sliding doors can be fully opened even in places in the apartment, where a Hinged door might only open halfway because of a piece of furniture. If the piece of furniture is urgent and will not fit in any other place, a Sliding door is the ideal solution.
Glass doors made of clear glass can facilitate the flow of energy between different rooms by creating visual connections. Unlike solid doors or frosted glass doors that could block the flow of energy, clear glass doors create a seamless connection between rooms. This allows for even distribution of energy and prevents stagnation or blockages. According to the teachings of Feng Shui, this allows positive energy to enter the room and negative energy to flow out.
Another benefit of clear glass doors in Feng Shui is that they direct and maximize natural light. Glass doors allow light to spread unimpeded throughout multiple rooms. This not only increases visual brightness, but also positively affects the mood of the people in the room. According to Feng Shui teachings, the transparency of doors allows for the unimpeded movement of Qi and helps create an open, energetically balanced environment.
Clear glass doors can also support Feng Shui when arranging furniture: Because they visually enlarge the space or visually unify rooms (this is especially true of large, multi-leaf Sliding doors made of clear glass), we can create a conscious connection between the various elements in the room and place furniture specifically to support the flow of energy.